Thursday 11 November 2010

In Flanders Fields the Poppies Blow

Do you ever have those days where you stagger to your room at bedtime, meaning to give half a thought to what you're going to wear tomorrow and then get totally into it and end up having clothes-combination brainwaves and trying things on for the next hour?  Happens to me all the time.


Poppies are my favourite flowers, I'm geekily interested in things related to world wars one and two, and I'm a sentimental sap about Remembrance Day, so I generally can't resist the temptation to wear my poppy dress on the 11th November.  This is it:



As you can see, it's a shade too short and too see-through to be worn as a dress by itself, so I wear it over trousers.  Well I always wear it over trousers, and I don't really like wearing trousers all that much, and I actually wore trousers yesterday and all in all it just wasn't working for me and I decided to rifle through my wardrobe and see what could be done about it.


Ta-da!
I tucked it into a black pencilish skirt, pulled it out to create a bonkers peplum effect, covered up the weedy thin black ribbon with a whacking big red belt, and suddenly it was a blouse!  It looks a bit '80s power dressing-y, actually.  Could you tell it started life as a floaty babydoll tunic??

On another note, I'm a total trendsetter.  All the little girls in Year 1 now insist on wearing their poppies in their hair like Miss Hamer instead of masking-taped to their jumpers like everyone else.


So.  There was my completely frivolous remembrance tribute.  Must remember to observe my minute's silence at 11pm tonight (does it count if you're asleep?), since I think I was jabbering on about the oa phoneme and the ai phoneme and the ng phoneme at 11 o'clock this morning.



When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet post. Wish I had that much time and energy to put into my work outfits - btw those shoes are just lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! Glad you liked it. (The outfit time and energy generally comes at the expense of sleep!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...