Wednesday 27 October 2010

"Every man I knew went to bed with Gilda... and woke up with me."

So, Rita Hayworth wins the prize for Best Film Hair Ever (for that scene in Gilda, obvs), but I've actually just decided I like her better without her trademark cloud of ginge.


The Happy Thieves has just finished on TCM (I would say "I just finished watching The Happy Thieves", but that would be a bit of a fib, because I tried to pay attention but quickly realised that I didn't have the brain power tonight to follow the plot (something about art thieves... in Spain...somebody dies in a bullfight...somebody gets double-crossed...not even sure if it ended in happily ever after or not...) and just glanced at the pretty pictures for most of the rest of it.)  Anywho, middle-aged Miss Rita has a short curly 'do and is so beautiful it hurts you to look at her.


I've never thought the 'Love Goddess' label suited Rita, really.  In this film her character, Eve, seemed to spend most of the film anxious, nervous, terrified, furious, regretful or just plain drunk, and was completely adorable throughout.  And I loved the Rita and Rex partnership.


"I tell you Jean, she's all woman, when she's a woman, like no other woman, if it wasn't for that malicious streak of femininity."
What do you think - Ginger Love Goddess, or the more dignified look?  I quite like blondie Rita in The Lady from Shanghai as well.  Not so much brunette Margarita in her early film days, though.


Margarita Carmen Cansino

A new look for a new market








Smile, woman!

See, much prettier when you're not trying too hard to be sultry!


Femme Fatale



Also, in the film there was a character with the name 'Blanca', and it's going on my List.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...